Does Amazon do Black Friday? The answer is a resounding yes, but the site isn't your typical Black Friday destination. In fact, you may even be asking yourself, "How does Black Friday work on Amazon?" Read on to learn what will be going on sale on Amazon on Black Friday (the deals start November 20!), and how to score Amazon Black Friday deals in 2020.
The 10 Best Amazon Black Friday 2020 Deals
Amazon's 2020 Black Friday ad is out now! Check out the top picks we're looking forward to below.
- Ring Video Doorbell 3 and an Echo Show 5 for $149.99 — This marks the return of a Prime Day deal that earned our Staff Pick designation, and it's just as good this time around.
- Fourth-generation Echo for $69.99 — This is the first outright discount we've seen on the latest Echo, and while we hoped it would go about $10 lower, this is still a great price.
- Fourth-generation Echo Dot for $28.99 — We didn't expect to see a significant discount on this device yet, but saving $21 on the latest version is a good deal.
- Fire HD 10 tablet for $79.99 — This is another Prime Day price returning, so if you missed out in October, you have another chance to save.
- eero 6 Wi-Fi 6 system (3-pack) for $223 — This is the first deal we've seen on this WiFi system that was announced a couple of months ago.
- Fire TV Stick Lite for $17.99 — This streaming media player was released very recently, and we're already seeing it discounted to its best price again.
- Six months of an Audible Plus membership for $4.95 per month — A year of Audible Plus would normally set you back $95, but with this deal, you can get your first six months for $30. Then the next six months will cost the standard price, for a total yearly cost of around $77.
- Current Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers can upgrade to the Family Plan for free for three months — Most often, current subscribers are excluded from these offers, making this one noteworthy.
- Save 20% or more on gift cards from select brands, including Gap, H&M, Petco, and more — This offer runs from November 26 through November 30, and is a great way to stock up on easy gifts for less.
- Oprah's Favorite Things — This is an extensive list of items that sell out quickly. If you see something you want, you should snag the deal while you can.
What to Expect From Amazon Black Friday Sales in 2020
When Will the Amazon Black Friday Ad Be Released?
If Amazon follows its trend from previous years, it will release its Black Friday ad around November 16.
That said, the ad is less important for Amazon than for other stores. The ad tends to list certain highlights — particularly deals on Amazon-brand electronics like Echo and Fire TV devices — but it barely scratches the surface of all the offers that'll be available. Amazon Marketplace sellers and Amazon itself will discount thousands of items.
Will Amazon Be Open on Thanksgiving?
Amazon is always open online, though it also continues to expand its physical presence. Many Amazon Books locations and Amazon 4-Star stores are currently operating under reduced hours due to the pandemic. Check your local store's page to see what their hours are, or give them a call.
When Does the Amazon Black Friday Sale Start?
If you're wondering about Amazon's Black Friday schedule, know that the retailer seems to consider Black Friday a state of mind. It's already started its "Holiday Dash" for 2020, but we expect the official Black Friday deals to kick off the week before the shopping holiday itself, on November 20.
While you can find the occasional diamond in the rough in early November, the best Amazon Black Friday deals will appear closer to the holiday itself. Along with offers that last throughout Black Friday Deals Week, we expect Amazon to have select "one time only" deals that launch during the day on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday.
When Is the Best Time to Shop During Black Friday?
During Black Friday week the past three years, we posted the most Amazon Staff Pick deals on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Those are definitely the best days to shop. But it's worth checking Amazon periodically throughout the entire week, as many of the best deals will be Lightning Deals that are only available for a limited time.
Does Everything on Amazon Go on Sale for Black Friday?
Expect Amazon to feature discounts across a wide variety of categories. During Black Friday week 2019, we posted the most Amazon deals in the home and garden category, followed by electronics and computers.
Also worth a mention are gaming and toy deals. We saw more offers in this category from Amazon than from any other store during Black Friday week 2019. These offers included multiple Staff Pick deals on board games and video games.
Amazon tends to have plenty of discounts on Kindle, Fire, and Echo devices, too — but they aren't guaranteed killer deals. For instance, last year we saw 3rd-generation Echo Dots for $22, or $57 for a 3-pack, which broke down to a per-item price of $19. We also saw the then-new 3rd-gen Echo drop to $60, and even saw some Kindle and Echo Show deals.
However, those Echo Show offers were only good if you wanted the 5.5" Echo Show 5 for $50 (or a 2-pack for $90), or the 8" Echo Show 8 for $80. If you were hoping for solid savings on the 10.1" 2nd-gen Echo Show, though, you would've been out of luck; we didn't see notable deals on that device.
While Amazon doesn't have typical "doorbusters," Lightning Deals are pretty much guaranteed to return. As always, we expect many of them to be popular and sell out in a flash. Amazon is known for offering one or two top-notch TV Lightning Deals during Black Friday. If you don't have lightning-like reflexes in your mouse finger, don't fret: there should be plenty of great deals that aren't so limited in quantity.
How to Get the Most out of Amazon Black Friday Deals
You can bag great deals from Amazon without a Prime membership, but Prime benefits can still come in handy. Members receive early access to select Lightning Deals, which can make all the difference for an item that's in high demand. The 2-day (or faster) Amazon Prime free shipping is a nice perk, too.
If you're interested in an upcoming Lightning Deal, download Amazon's app, then click "Watch this deal" to receive notifications when the deal's about to go live. (It's worth making note of the time yourself for any deals you really want, as we've noticed this feature can be buggy when the app is under heavy load.)
Some Lightning Deals are claimed in minutes (or seconds!), which can be stressful because shoppers can't see prices in advance. But don't worry — after you add a Lightning Deal item to your cart, you'll have a few minutes to think the price over and decide if you want it. A timer will pop up to show you how long you have to complete your purchase. And even if an item shows as 100% claimed, don't hesitate to add yourself to the waitlist. Many people who added the product to their cart may not follow through with their purchase.
Another reason to download the app is that Amazon sometimes offers discounts during the holiday shopping season to users who opt to shop via that method rather than on the website. For example, last year users could earn up to $60 in Amazon credit just by buying through the app.
Finally, in the spirit of giving, don't forget that when you shop eligible items via AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5% of what you spend to the charitable organization you choose.
What About Amazon's Cyber Monday Sale?
When Does Cyber Monday Start for Amazon?
Amazon likes to kick off its sales as early as it can, so we expect their Cyber Monday event to start the day after Black Friday and go through Cyber Monday itself. The online retailer should also offer "one time only" deals on Cyber Monday.
What Will Be on Sale? What Will Be the Best Deals?
Amazon is the biggest online retailer in the U.S. — you can expect it to feature thousands of deals during Cyber Week. Look for discounts on clothing, electronics, housewares, toys, tabletop games, movies, and more.
The most popular deals Amazon offered last year encompassed a wide variety of categories. For instance, a 20-film DVD set of the Best of Warner Bros. Best Pictures was only $24. We also saw an August Smart Lock for $55, $500 off the Samsung Galaxy S10 or Note10 (which came bundled with new headphones!), and a Seagate 2TB external hard drive for $50.
One particular deal to watch for: Amazon frequently offers a rare dollar-off book coupon during Cyber Week. Last year, the coupon cut $5 off $20 purchases of physical books. A separate deal gave you a $5 credit when you spent at least $20 on eBooks.
Readers, what will you be shopping for on Amazon during Black Friday 2020? What are the best deals you scored last year? Let us know in the comments below!