That's $223 off list and the lowest price we could find. Buy Now at Dell Home
- 10th-Gen Intel Core i5-10210U Comet Lake 1.6GHz quad-core CPU
- 13.3" 1920x1080 (1080p) InfinityEdge touch FHD display
- 4GB RAM & 128GB NVMe SSD
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit
That's a $48 drop from our December mention, $1,299 off list, and the lowest price we've seen. Buy Now at eBay
- Sold by Lenovo via eBay.
- Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6GHz Whiskey Lake quad-core processor
- 14" 1920x1080 (1080p) IPS display
- 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD
- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Model: 20QD001TUS
That's $20 less than our mention from a few days ago, and a savings of $220 off the list price. Buy Now at HP
- functions as a tablet or a laptop
- 10th-gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 1.0GHz Ice Lake quad-core CPU
- 14" 1366x768 (768p) native resolution touch display
- 8GB RAM; 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- HP Active Pen
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Model: 8wl75av-1
It's $10 under our June mention. Clip the on page $20 off coupon for a total savings of $30 off the list price. Buy Now at Amazon
- Sold by Selpic Direct via Amazon.
- Available in Black.
- single color printer (includes Black cartridge)
- supports Android 4.0 or above and iOS 8.0 or above
- includes printer dock
- quick-dry waterproof ink
That's the lowest price we could find by $301. Buy Now at Abt
- Intel Core m3 3.4GHz dual-core processor
- 12.3" 3000x2000 molecular LCD display
- 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD Storage
- 8MP front camera
- WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2
- Google Chrome OS
- Model: GA00345-US
Apply coupon code "EXTRAFIVE" to get this deal and save $2 under what you'd pay at Walmart. Buy Now at Lenovo
- MediaTek MT8321 32-bit quad-core processor
- 7" 1024x600 IPS, 5-point multi-touch display
- 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage
- 2MP front camera, 2MP rear camera
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Model: ZA550012US
Apply coupon code "45426 " to cut it to $20 off list and the lowest price we could find. Buy Now at Staples
- 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution
- 178° viewing angle
- HDMI, DVI-D, and VGA inputs
- Model: 6VE27A6#ABA
That's the best price we could find by $22. Buy Now at Abt
- 2nd-gen AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 2.1GHz quad-core CPU
- 15.6" 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution LCD
- 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Model: F512DA-RS51
RefurBees offers this Refurbished HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini Desktop Bundle with 2 Refurbished Monitors for $399. Coupon code "DUAL" cuts it to $368.50. Plus, free shipping applies. Buy Now at RefurBees
- A 90-day RefurBees warranty applies.
- HP 800 G2 Mini Desktop PC
- Two HP 20" monitors
- Wali Dual Monitor Mount
- Wired keyboard and mouse
- (Desk and chair not included)
That's $16 under our mention from February, and a savings of $64 via coupon code "UBP6W7A5". Buy Now at Amazon
- Sold by Orico Technology Co., Ltd via Amazon.
- transfer speeds up to 5Gbps
- supports 3.5" SATA HDD/SSD drives
- includes USB 3.0 cable and 12V/6.5A adapter
- compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac OS, and Linux
- Model: DS500U3
That's a savings of $620 off the list and the best price we could find. Buy Now
- 1 year limited warranty provided by distributor.
- 6th-Gen. Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Skylake quad-core processor
- 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD
- Window 10 Pro 64-bit
That's the lowest price we could find by $3. Buy Now at HP
- classic-style 2.4GHz keyboard
- mouse has five multimedia controls
- Model: p-lv290aa-aba--1
Coupon code "EXTRAFIVE" drops it to $6 under the next best price we found. Buy Now at Lenovo
- facial recognition for Windows Hello
- plug-and-play USB connectivity
- internal slicing privacy shutter
- 360° pan/tilt controls
- wide view 75° lens
- Model: 4XC0V13599
Apply coupon code "EXTRAFIVE" to save. That's $48 less than you'd pay at Amazon, and the best price out there. Buy Now at Lenovo
- 19.5" 1440x900 IPS panel
- LED backlight
- 7ms response time
- VGA input only
- Model: 60DFAAR1US
Use coupon code "45426" to drop the price to $94.99, a low by $20. Buy Now at Staples
- 5TB Storage Capacity
- USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 Interface
- USB 2.0 Compatible
- transfer speeds up to 120MB/s
- Model: STHP5000400
That's the lowest price we could find by $80. Buy Now at Abt
- Intel Celeron N4000 1.1GHz Gemini Lake dual-core CPU
- 12" 1366x912 (912p) IPS touchscreen display
- 4GB RAM; 32GB eMMC
- functions as a tablet or laptop
- Chrome OS
- Model: 7PA28UA#ABA
That's $100 off list and the lowest price we could find. Buy Now at HP
- 2nd-Gen. AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 2.1GHz quad-core CPU
- 16GB RAM & 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- 15.6" 1366x768 (720p) LED touchscreen
- AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics
- Windows 10 Home 64
- Model: 5MU54AV_1
RefurBees offers the Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 4th gen Core i5 2.0GHz Desktop for $198. Coupon code "TM73" cuts it to $187.90. Plus, free shipping applies. Buy Now at RefurBees
- Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3470T 2.9GHz Dual-Core CPU
- 8GB RAM; 128GB SSD
- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
- Mouse and keyboard included
- Model: M73
Computers: The Basics
Shopping for computers doesn’t have to drain your savings — if you know how to find the best prices. Our team of experts review the sales and publish the best computer deals so you don’t have to work half as hard.
Basic Computer Terminology
You don’t have to be a tech wiz to buy your next computer. Make note of these common terms to help you when you’re shopping computer sales!
- Operating System (OS): This is the system that controls how your computer performs basic functions. The most common operating systems you’ll see right now are Windows 10 and Mac OS X. They perform comparably, so picking one relies on personal preference.
- Random-access memory (RAM): The short-term memory of your computer. Your RAM controls how quickly and efficiently your computer is able to switch between tasks. The higher the RAM, the better the performance.
- Processor (CPU) : The powerhouse or “brain” of the computer, your processor handles your computer’s basic instructions, such as using your mouse and keyboard, or running applications. The two most popular CPU manufacturers are AMD and Intel. You can read about which processor is right for you in this article from Digital Trends.
- Storage: There are two types of physical computer storage, hard drives (HD) and solid state drives (SSD), sometimes called flash drives . SSD storage is more common these days because they are more stable and faster. While it’s ideal to aim for greater storage space, a bigger drive will cost more money. Determine your storage needs based on how you plan to use your computer. Abt recommends starting with at least 500 GB of storage space.
Basic Software for Your PC
When you start using your new computer, you’ll want to install some basic software to get going. Most pre-built computers come with a suite of software pre-installed with the OS.
Whether you opt for a package like Microsoft Office or iWork, opt for freeware like Open Office, or choose an online software pack like G Suite, it’s always a good idea to install a productivity software to help you with tasks like making spreadsheets, word processing, and viewing PDFs.
Microsoft Edge and Safari are the standard browsers that come with a new computer, but many shoppers rely on browsers like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Check out TechRadar’s review of the most common browsers here .
Not only does cloud storage give you more space than the limited physical storage on your PC, but it also gives you access to your files anywhere. Many companies like Google or Dropbox offer a limited amount of free cloud storage.
Antivirus tools do more than simply keep viruses at bay; they also protect against malware, phishing, adware, spyware, and more. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Security Essentials as a default, and security options are built into Mac OS X (as opposed to a standalone program). That said, antivirus suites like Norton, McAfee, and Bitdefender may offer you more protection.
Many laptops and desktops no longer include a physical media drive. If you plan on watching any videos locally (not streamed online), it’s useful to have a media player. Typically, this software is built in, but check out this list for some info on the best media players for Windows 10 and this one for Mac.
Not to be confused with a media player, a good music application is worth installing on your computer. Spotify, iTunes, and Pandora are some common favorites that give you access to a practically limitless selection. The desktop versions make it easier to browse and build playlists.
Check Out These Computer Blog Posts
Computer Deal Subcategories
DealNews offers the best deals on computers and computing accessories. You can browse our deals in different categories including, but not limited to:
Whether you’re looking for a new work laptop, or want to find a quality gaming system, check out our selection of the best laptop deals here.
Did you know you should replace your computer every 4 to 5 years to get the best performance? Check out the best computer deals for your next desktop here.
Did you know that DealNews first launched as a deal website for Apple Macintosh products? While we’ve grown significantly since then, we still know how to find the best Apple computer deals!
Maybe you’re in the market for a larger streaming device for your kids, or maybe you’d like a device to serve as your e-reader (with a few extra perks). Whatever you’re searching for, check out the best tablet and iPad deals here.
When shopping computer sales, check out DealNews before going anywhere else, so you know you’ll always find the best deals!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I purchase a laptop or desktop?
It’s important to review your needs before buying a laptop or desktop computer.
- What’s your budget? Because they’re bigger and more modular, desktop computers tend to outperform laptops . A desktop’s customizability means your budget can go a lot further. However, laptops have other advantages over desktops.
- Do you need portability? High-end laptops are generally more expensive , but a laptop will always win the portability debate.
- How much power do you need? Desktops have more room to work with, so you can add more RAM, more storage, a bigger graphics card, and other performance improvements. But if you don’t need all that, then a mid-tier laptop may be the cheaper choice.
- Are you a gamer? Laptops that are built for gaming are among the most expensive on the market. That said, if you’re not comfortable selecting individual pieces to build a gaming desktop, you may be willing to pay a premium to get that performance.
- Don’t forget the repairs. If you’re handy, you can often repair or replace parts in a desktop computer with the help of online guides. Most laptops require specialized tools and skills to repair, so desktop fixes tend to be cheaper.
Overall, desktop computers have a lot of advantages, but the lack of portability can be a deal breaker. No matter what you decide, be sure to check out specs and buying guides from the DealNews Blog and other reputable sources like CNET or PCMag . Then shop DealNews for the best computer deals!
How do I get my external hard drive to show up?
Once you’ve ensured that your external drive is plugged in and powered on, check out these steps from PCMag :
- Try a different USB port.
- Try a different PC.
- Update your drivers.
- Format the drive.
What is a VPN?
VPN stands for “virtual private network.” A VPN protects your internet usage by routing your internet connection through a private server. Using a VPN keeps your online browsing more private and also grants you access to websites and content that may not be available in your country.
How can I boost my WiFi signal?
When your internet connection seems impossibly slow, the cause isn’t your provider, but your WiFi signal strength. Check out these options to boost your WiFi signal :
- Update your router firmware. Each router is different, but you typically can use the steps found here to run updates.
- Place your router in the most optimal space. You want to place your wireless router away from any walls or obstructions. If possible, put it in the most central place in your home.
- Pick a different frequency. If you have a dual-band router, try using the 5GHz band. This band offers higher speeds, and may get an additional boost if there are fewer devices connected to it.
- Change the channel. While most routers will automatically choose the channel with the least congestion, some cheaper routers may require you to manually update it.
- Upgrade your router. How old is your current router? If it's a previous-generation 802.11n model, you could upgrade that to improve your wireless signal. If you have a newer 802.11ac router, you're already in good shape.
- Replace the antenna. You may boost your signal by simply adding or replacing an external antenna. PCMag recommends purchasing one marked “high-gain,” and to opt for a directional antenna — rather than an omnidirectional one.
- Add a wireless range extender. If you only want to boost coverage in one or two rooms, a WiFi extender can help you boost your signal in dead spots. Check out this guide from the DealNews Blog .
Switch to a mesh WiFi system. Wireless mesh networking is becoming more popular, because it can provide more complete coverage throughout the home. Mesh systems replace your router
A Georgia girl with three years of experience in IP Law and grounded in understanding marketing and consumer motives. When she's not working with the fabulous staff of DealNews, you can find her whining at rowing practice and browsing the Hot Deals on the site.