If you're diving into PC gaming for the first time, you might be wondering what kind of machine you need. Many gamers would say a desktop is the way to go. But what if you want to be able to play games from anywhere?
A budget gaming laptop can provide that portability, and our experts here at DealNews can help you find your ideal device for an affordable price. We'll walk you through the specs you need for your gaming laptop, as well as the kinds of accessories that will take your gaming to new levels. Once you know what to look for, check out the best gaming laptop deals our experts have found below.
Tips for Buying Budget Gaming Laptops and Accessories
Choose the Best Gaming Laptop for YouBest High-End Gaming Laptop: If money is no object, look for a top-tier gaming laptop like the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14. Look for these specs to get a fast, smooth gaming experience:
- Memory: Go for models that contain between 12GB and 16GB of DDR4 RAM.
- Processor: High-end gaming laptops should have the latest Core i7 CPUs if you're shopping Intel. Expect many to have 10th-generation processors, denoted as either Comet Lake or Ice Lake architecture. However, note that Intel recently announced its 11th-generation processors with Tiger Lake architecture, as well. Gaming laptops made with the latest AMD processors (currently the Ryzen 4000 Series) are an alternative. They can provide a better bang for your buck, as they often cost less and can even outperform their Intel counterparts.
- Display: Aim for at least a 15" display. No matter what kind of gaming you'll be doing, odds are it's going to look better and be more enjoyable on a bigger screen.
- Graphics: Opt for a discrete GPU from NVIDIA, preferably a Quadro RTX model; it'll have more computing power and ray-tracing capabilities.
- Storage: Choose a model with a solid state drive, which will offer high speeds and have a price determined by its storage size. Be sure to take into account everything you'll need to put on your gaming laptop — SSDs may function best when filled to less than 70% capacity.
- Memory: We recommend at least 8GB of RAM. This should be enough to eliminate most bottlenecks without requiring you to pay a premium.
- Processor: Keep an eye out for laptops that feature AMD Ryzen CPUs, such as the 3rd-generation Ryzen 5 4600H, as it'll provide decently high performance at a lower price tag.
- Display: Again, you'll want at least a 15" display if you're planning to engage in any serious gaming.
- Graphics: Since gaming is still the goal, it's best to go for a discrete GPU. Stick with NVIDIA, but look for a laptop with a GeForce GTX to help save some cash.
- Storage: Though SSDs tend to be pricier than traditional hard disk drives, they offer many perks. If you can find a model within your budget that contains an SSD, it's worth it, especially if it has the capacity to handle your operating system, plus additional programs and games.
- Memory: Don't settle for anything less than 8GB of RAM unless you're a super casual gamer. And even then, 8GB will still serve you better.
- Processor: Opt for AMD Ryzen CPUs, even if you have to go with a previous generation. You'll still get a bigger bang for your buck over Intel in most cases.
- Display: However you game, you'll want a 15" screen. Don't skimp on screen size just to cut costs.
- Graphics: If graphics aren't important to you, you can go for an integrated card, especially if you aren't planning to play any super-intensive games. Otherwise, aim for a GeForce GTX discrete card.
- Storage: You might be better off opting for an HDD if you're looking for a budget-friendly model. However, SSDs are absolutely available at lower price ranges. Just note that you might end up sacrificing the amount of storage if you do decide on an SSD. Consider checking out a hybrid drive, which is noted as an SSHD and falls between the two extremes — it's more like an HDD with a little SSD added on.
Gaming Accessories to Get You Started
Consider a separate monitor. If you want an added display, be sure that your GPU has the capability to meet your desired settings. Samsung has a gaming monitor lineup with FreeSync-friendly models, but if you want to look elsewhere, the Dell, HP, and Acer brands also have solid recommendations.
Don't forget the headphones! These can provide better audio fidelity than most built-in laptop speakers. Plus, headphones can help reduce noise complaints, whether they're from neighbors, friends, or family. If you want to splurge, HyperX is an elite brand designed for pro gamers. If you're not concerned about that, Corsair comes highly recommended for budget sets.
You may want an external mouse and keyboard. Casual gamers probably won't need these, though all gamers can benefit from devices that alleviate wrist pain. Look to brands like Razer and Logitech to offer highly reviewed mouse and keyboard models.
Best High-End Deal
Acer Predator Comet Lake i7 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Shipping: Free shipping
Lowest By: $122
Amazon is currently offering this high-end Acer Predator gaming laptop for $1,137.99, marked down from its original price of $1,199.99. That amounts to a $62 reduction and the lowest price we could find by $122. It's got a 10th-gen Intel Core i7-10750H 2.6GHz Comet Lake six-core CPU, 1080p 144Hz 15.6" display, 16GB RAM, a 512GB NVMe SSD, and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 6GB 2060 graphics card. The GPU combined with the high refresh rate display should offer a nice sweet spot between performance and visual fidelity or if you'd rather opt for graphical prowess, the RTX 2060 is capable of producing some of those fancy new fangled ray traced shadows and reflections.
Top Accessory Deal
Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop Keyboard and Mouse Combo
Shipping: Free shipping
Lowest By: $21
Using a bluetooth mouse with a laptop makes perfect sense but using a bluetooth keyboard with a laptop? It's less usual but your avant garde laptop usage habits are of no concern to us, especially since this combo is $21 off and at its best ever price. The keyboard has an up to 2-year battery life and features extremely useful emoji keys, while the mouse has an up to 12-month battery life.
Top Office Desk Deal
Motion Wise 48" Electric Height-Adjustable Standing Desk
Store: Home Depot
Price: $302.05 via "HDOFFICE10"
Shipping: Free shipping
Lowest By: $36
Standing desks are an increasingly popular option for office setups. If you're considering getting in on the craze, Home Depot has you covered with the Motion Wise 48" Electric Height-Adjustable 1-Drawer Standing Desk. You can drop the price down from $336 to $302 using coupon code "HDOFFICE10", leaving it at the best price we could find by $34. It measures 24" x 48", is electric height adjustable, and features a steel and aluminum frame.